Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chasing Rainbows



My sojourn home includes a road that is connected to a Washington, D.C. and and two different counties in Maryland. The nation's capital, with all its magnificent intentions, was dark and gloomy as the rain poured. I all but cried when I saw the adult faces of despair staring at me, but found joy in looking at a child skip in between the rain drops. Without a care in the world, the little ones understood that true happiness was not in a material possession, but just existing in what was already available to them.

In between the two counties, I sat in traffic blasting my music to distract me from the bumber to bumber routine I've become accustomed to weekly. No soon as I entered my city, the rain stopped. To my left, justs before reaching the Wa Wa, were two bands of colors arching over the sky.

"No way! Could it be?" I asked myself.

Adjusting my contacts, I saw two rainbows.

At the traffic light, I quickly grabbed my camera. Click! Click! Click! I got them, but I wasn't satisfied. I made a left turn to follow them and found myself in a neighborhood I had passed for the past year in a half. At the next traffic light, I snapped again. This time, I was caught in action. The passengers in the car next to me saw what I was capturing and decided to take a picture of the rainbows too.

I pulled over so as not to stop traffic and snapped away. After about 6 shots, I just stared and stared and stared...

There was a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Instead of a leprecan waiting for me, I was the one holding the pot...and tasting the rainbow of my dreams.

No comments: