Tuesday, November 07, 2006

And so I went home last night.

T
Tabi Bonney put me in the "Pocket." www.myspace.com/tabibonney




Washington, D.C.'s U Street has become my Harlem. Having moved from place to place on I95, I've realized that the home of my spirit is on U Street---between 12th and 14th and U Streets. It is where my past, present and future live.

I get my second wind on Mondays at 9pm. I'm not a drinker but Bar Nunn is my watering whole. I'm refreshed with luv and lounge in the comfort of very concious people, art, music and literature. It's my weekly sugar rush. Though my day lasts from 5am-1am, I surprisingly wake up with a glow because the love that is made fills me far beyond any fleshly orgasm someone might claim to provide.

In one evening, I broke bread with Jacob Lawrence and was the subject in Gordon Parks photography. I was honored to have been a guest of D.C.'s mobile library in the past and was welcomed back with opened arms, not as an author but family. I was glad to know that my time at home wouldn't just end on Mondays. After taking care of business, my Thursdays or Fridays will be spent, in some capacity with the 51st State...this is when I can laugh out loud and not apologize for it.

I once told Nigerian artist Victor Ehikhamenor that the rebirth of the rebirth was in Chocolate City. The friends I now run circles with live next door to me at Duke City, Bar Nunn, Cada Vas and Bus Boys and Poets. If ever you wanted to meet the children of The Renaissance, the daughters, sons, nephews, and neices of the creative past, take a trip to my house. It's warming.

U Street. My street.

-A Brown Girl

www.myspace.com/coffeedreamz
www.district51.net
www.myspace.com/dcbookman
www.myspace.com/theluvlounge
www.myspace.com/tabibonney



No comments: