Sunday, February 01, 2015

My Dreams Stand on Your Shoulders: A Tribute to Langston Hughes

I fell in love with you, risk taker and dream maker. At five, I didn't know I traveled in your Simple footsteps when wearing my red and white sailor suit to the zoo. The Metro Bus took me to the zoo that was located near the work site of a busboy who was discovered as a poet. It was you, injecting me with your spirit. It was you who touched my foot's sole soley to encourage my soul.

I fell in love with you when I was 12 and introduced to you by name as a voice in the Harlem Renaissance. My uncle Que and Aunt Sue gave me my first type writer, and I pecked away. You were on roster as I took my classes. I was overwhelmingly pacified by Zora when I was 13 as her Eyes Were Watching God, but even Janie's story wasn't the end of my love affair with you. I kept digging for the heart of your existence. The same family pair pushed me toward you in this arranged literary marriage with a gift to strengthen my ties to you.

I fell in love with you when I was 21 and crossed the sands of Delta. It was clear we were connected. We now had Coleman Love in common. My engagement ring of thoughts were peaked. It was at 22 Aunt Sue further invested in me and put me in a position to get closer and closer to you. I was given a hand-crafted desk so I could begin to write...like you...see my dreams unfold. It was when I volunteered with Jeree at the same hotel where you were discovered that you baptized me with your essence.

In 2001, the Dream could no longer be deferred. I married you and began to build a family of children with you with recitations of Harlem, while introducing them to Lorraine, and making songs about your friends in the 1920s. It was during this time, God sent two darlings, Rachel and Rachelle who spoke clearly of what you taught me. They told me to stop teaching and write my book. Thus, the Sugar Rush series was conceived. They spoke your truth. They are our children.

In years later, you continued to be married to my fingertips, my heart, mind, and soul. You showed up on my realtor's book shelf when I was 26. I met the Tingling-Clemmons family and saw the Big Sea in their collection. I met their son who was named after you. I cannot deny you, I will simply love all that you have been in the world and unselfishly share you. In 2019, I wrote a poem to welcome a prince who will one day be king. He has your name. You continue to live on and I can't let your memory go.

You are my literary love. You are the Director of Dreams. You are Langston Hughes, the voice, the face, the heartbeat of my fingertips.

Always and forever yours,
Yolonda

www.yolondacoleman.com

No comments: