Monday, August 27, 2007

Little Chair...Big Dreams.

by Saxton Mills (c) copyright 2007

DMX...Michael Vick...and me. The one thing we have in common is a dog fight. But mine...is the fight against the world. I'm sitting in a chair Ma and Pops bought for me when I was in pre-k. Here I am...21 sitting in the same seat on a laptop getting ready to be introduced to my last year of college hoping to make it beyond society's image of me. In my dog fight, I'm the most wanted, dangerous one in the ring. They'll be waiting to electrocute, hang, and condemn me to a fate that they prepared for me; but I'm sitting in my little chair with big dreams and staying away from the bars except to speak to my innocent client.

My dreams...never included street suicide---selling my soul to fast money, cars, and women. Shoot...my "man" ain't even a man by street standards. Instead, I keep him at bay 'cause the young lady I'm with, is keeping her virtue until we both amass enough knowledge and wealth to make love to make love in the image of both of us.

I guess you could call me fortunate or blessed or whatever you see fit to ascribe to a kid from the "hood" who saw parts of the country that some barely read about in the text books. Instead of just taking notes to pass a test...I am the test and I'm passing. It's left up to me to change the world. If it takes the rest of my life...so be it.

No comments: